Digital Communications Specialist
Digital/Web and Graphic Design Specialist
Requisition ID 31477BR
ASU Job Title Digital Communications Spec
Job Title Digital Communications Specialist
Campus/Location Campus: Tempe Job Family Marketing & Media Relations
Department Name Institute Of Human Origin
VP Code EXEC VP/PROVOST
Scope of Search Open Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Salary Range $36,900 - $50,000 per year; DOE
Close Date 12-May-2017
The Institute of Human Origins, a research center of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, is seeking a full-time, benefits-eligible Web and Graphic Design Specialist to support the communications, research, and outreach functions of the Institute.
The position directs website development and management, digital technology management, and graphic design efforts for IHO's website, mobile app, and social media platforms, and graphic design and management for electronic and print communications.
The position develops and leads the adoption of key interactive, digital, and web strategies, policies, processes, and standards to reach and engage a variety of online audiences. This position works closely with and reports to the Assistant Director.
- This position will provide digital and web technology support, including hands-on management, direction, and graphic design for multiple websites using Drupal, WordPress, and HTML; oversee and manage updates for server accounts in conjunction with websites; monitor website performance, assessment, and evaluation of online usage and trends through tools like Google Analytics; ensure effective SEO to encourage and increase visitations and referrals; initiate and complete site updates; troubleshoot potential problems; actively participate in the development of new ideas, content, interactive site features, and functionality to ensure delivery of up-to-date web experiences; manage Excel and online databases for distribution of e-newsletters and print products; and work closely with all web stakeholders to support objectives of IHO strategic and communications plans
- This position will also be responsible for designing and creating a variety of print materials and web-based graphics, including coordinating print and image production and specifications and creating templates and email communications using Salesforce Marketing Cloud, supported by occasional HTML modifications; directing and monitoring uniformity of information and graphic standards per specified ASU and IHO branding goals to ensure consistency; serve on appropriate ASU committees related to web and digital strategy in CLAS and the university community; and create and manage a photo database for IHO and requests for permission to reuse images.
- This position will also work closely with communications area to develop, maintain, and post social media, e-news, and website updates based on an annual editorial calendar and ensure social media sites reflect most current information and design, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other emerging social platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment and two (2) years of related experience: OR, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated experience in writing and editing online content.
- Evidence of three (3) years advanced experience with web development and graphic design including Drupal, WordPress, HTML, Java Script, Dreamweaver, CSS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Google Analytics, and database design/development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of database management, web site content management and use of interactive technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of CRM and email marketing providers including SalesForce Marketing Cloud.
- Experience in using online social media platforms in a business environment including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience in using graphic design skills and execution through print, web, and other digital platforms.
- Experience with audio and/or video podcasting and editing. Experience managing multiple and comprehensive web and design projects.
- Evidence of a bachelor's degree in science or strong science background or experience.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in managing multiple projects and deadlines in a collaborative environment.
- Experience in developing and maintaining internal and external relationships.
- Experience in using organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- May include exposure to external environment/climate conditions including walking on uneven surfaces, climbing and high temperatures Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Communicate to perform essential functions Department Statement The Institute of Human Origins is one of the preeminent research organizations in the world devoted to the science of human origins.
- IHO pursues an integrative strategy for research and discovery central to its over 35-year-old founding mission, bridging social, earth, and life science approaches to the most important questions concerning the course, causes, and timing of events in the human career over deep time.
- IHO fosters public awareness of human origins and its relevance to contemporary society through innovative outreach programs that create timely, accurate information for both education and lay communities.
- ASU Statement Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access.
- This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines.
- ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city.
- ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
- ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION STATEMENT
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Background Check Statement ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated. Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated. Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Go to ASU jobs at https://cfo.asu.edu/applicant to apply.