CHIEF EXTERNAL RELATIONS OFFICER
Chief External Relations Officer
Arizona State University
W.P. Carey School of Business
The Arizona State University’s W. P. Carey School of Business, one of the nation’s top business schools, is seeking a Chief External Relations Officer to lead the marketing and communications, alumni and corporate relations departments. The school is seeking an individual with a blend of creativity, analytical capabilities and demonstrated leadership experience to lead this award-winning team. This role is responsible for projecting a strong, positive brand image to grow awareness, engagement and affinity for the school among key audiences. Reporting directly to the Dean, it is a member of the senior leadership team at the college and contributes to strategic planning, resource management and school priorities. The successful candidate will possess:
- Superb analytical skills and comfort using data to make decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Passionate customer advocacy
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles, brand, product and service management
- Deep understanding of changing market dynamics
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Depends on experience
This position leads the development and execution of the strategic direction for the department, including mining and utilization of market data and customer insights; strategic contributions to program development, launch and evaluation; creation and measurement of brand positioning, creative campaigns, strategic communications; and constituent and community relations to further engagement and connect with the greater business community.
As a key leader within the school, this role will plan, direct and review the activities and operation of the team, while identifying issues that may arise, resolving problems and issues affecting the department. The role confers with college and university officials, program directors, budget administrators and external advisory boards and staff to align programming, priorities and resources. The position represents the college in meetings and at events, and acts as a liaison with faculty, advisors, administrator and staff from both inside and outside the organization. The role is critical in personifying our “Business is Personal” motto, and must embody teamwork, open communication, transparency, and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Masters degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment, and eight (8) years of related administrative experience which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in creative campaign development, implementation and evaluation.
- Experience in: advertising, content marketing, media relations, constituent relations, volunteer/board leadership, team leadership in a collaborative environment, agency management, budgeting and accounting, problem solving, and business administration. Evidence of effective verbal and written communication.
- Experience in fundraising
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of higher education and program development highly desirable.
- Subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); required to stand for varying lengths of time and travel moderate distances to perform work (10%)
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (15%)
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions
- Ability to manage a team
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals; receive regular review of assignments for adherence to established goals and objectives
- May require some travel to industry or school events, as well as nighttime and weekend events
ASU’s W. P. Carey School of Business is one of the largest and highest-ranked business schools in the United States. Named in honor of our benefactor, the late investor and philanthropist Wm. Polk Carey, the W. P. Carey School is internationally recognized for its leadership in business education. The business school at ASU was founded in 1955. Today, the W. P. Carey School boasts an acclaimed faculty that includes a Nobel Prize winner, two members of the National Academy of Sciences, a Guggenheim Fellow, and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Many faculty members are also on the editorial boards of academic journals and publications. With undergraduate business degree programs in more than 30 disciplines and a range of specialized master’s and MBA programs, the W. P. Carey School develops leaders prepared for the challenges and opportunities of an ever-changing global economy. W. P. Carey PhD graduates embark on careers in research and academia, learning from thought leaders in their respective fields and accessing the resources of America’s largest public university. Companies across industries and around the world turn to the W. P. Carey School for professional development. Tailored for senior leaders — with additional programs designed for the entire organization — executive education courses, certificates, and custom degree programs create instant competitive benefits and lead to long-term organizational success. The W. P. Carey alumni network spans the globe. Our more than 100,000 alumni represent highly regarded companies from diverse industries, including manufacturing, technology, retail, banking, accounting, entertainment, and food, as well as smaller entrepreneurial firms and respected nonprofit organizations. For more information, visit https://wpcarey.asu.edu/ to learn more.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Jobs at ASU, enter Req Id# 43363BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=3548737